Home Metnitz and its surroundings Map
Getting there About the house Prices and booking
Contacts Feedback  Summer activities   Winter activities 




The town of Metnitz and its surroundings

The parish of Metnitz is situated in the north of the federal land of Austria called Carinthia. Its altitude ranges starting from 700 m in the East up to 2000 m in the North above the sea level. The village is located away from busy highways and industrial districts. The optimal altitude ensures sunny and mild climate. The surroundings of Metnitz, unlike other parts of Carinthia, are free of air pollution, and therefore it is particularly healthy to be there.
Total area of the parish is 223 sq.m., this is one of the largest federal lands of Carinthia. Basically the parish has formed out of inhabited marketplaces in Metnitz, Grades and small villages like Oberhof, Feistritz and Kärntnerisch-Laßnitz.

There is a church, a chapel and ancient buildings in the centre of the town. Frequently festivities are organised when many locals go out in the streets in Austrian folk costumes. The name of Metnitz is related to an interesting medieval tradition – the dance of death (Totentanz). A theatrical performance is devoted to the Totentanz theme every year, its basic idea: death doesn't spare anybody – both rich and poor, and one never knows when it would come...There is a renovated medieval fresco on the walls of the chapel that depicts the Totentanz.

The extended valley invites travellers to explore flora and fauna of untouched nature, go hiking or simply take a walk down mountainous trails where one can enjoy blissful panoramas, see forest animals, water-falls and in summertime – grazing sheep, horses and cows. During the summer one can rent a bike and go on a biking trip, swim in the open pool in the village, play tennis, engage in other sports, go horse-riding and angling. During the winter one can go skiing and snow-boarding to skiing resorts close and far.

Art lovers will also find many interesting objects to see in Metnitz. The Metnitz marketplace that was inhabited already in the 9th century has the St. Leonhard Church built in 1121. A valuable object so see is the death dance frescos painted in circa 1500. Rich with art treasures is the St. Wolfgang (1453-1474) Church in the Grades village, as well as the Grades castle built by the bishop Heinrich I von Gurk in circa 1770 and rebuild several times.